Dr. J recommends starting each meal with something warm, wet and savory such as a good quality vegetable, fish, or meat broth (other than bone broth). We recommend against bone broth, as bone is where the body stores toxic minerals such as lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and nickel, and bone broths thus can have high concentrations of these toxins. The healthiest type of broth to consume is one you make yourself with the freshest ingredients, locally sourced and organic/biodynamic. Here is a vegetable broth recipe that we love:
1 hour 5 minutes
- 12 cups / 2 3/4 liters filtered water
- 1 red onion, quartered (with skins)
- 1 garlic bulb, smashed
- 1 chili pepper, roughly chopped (with seeds) – avoid if you have a very sensitive stomach
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, roughly chopped (with skin)
- 1 cup greens, such as kale or spinach
- 3-4 cup mixed chopped vegetables and peelings, I used carrot peelings, red cabbage, fresh mushrooms, leeks and celery
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 30 g dried wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 – 2 tbsp ground turmeric (use less for a milder taste)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos*
- A bunch of fresh coriander, or other herb of your choice
- Simply add everything to a large pot. Bring to a boil then simmer, with the lid on, for about an hour.
- Once everything has been cooked down, strain the liquid into a large bowl.
- Serve immediately with some fresh herbs, for decoration or cool for later. It also freezes well.
*Coconut Aminos can be salty so adjust addition of salt ( sea salt) accordingly.