By Liz Friedman, MS and Jayashree Mani, MS, CCN
Happy New Year and welcome to 2022! The new year is a time to hit the “reset” button, examine our lives, and reflect on changes we’d like to make in the coming year. Starting the year with a detoxification program can help us to renew and refresh from the inside out so we are truly our best selves to the core.
Toxins are everywhere
In the past 50 years, more than 100,000 toxic chemicals, including heavy metals and pesticides, have been introduced into the environment — into the air we breathe, food that we eat, and water that we drink. Toxins can accumulate and damage critical internal body systems, so it’s no wonder that the incidence of toxicity-related afflictions (such as cancer, arthritis, allergies, obesity, skin conditions and cardiovascular disease) is also on the rise. In addition, a wide variety of symptoms, such as headache, fatigue, pain, cough, gastrointestinal problems and more can all be related to toxicity.
How does the body detoxify normally?
The healthy body has many systems in place to remove toxins. Water-soluble toxins can be filtered and removed by the kidneys, the intestinal tract, and through the sweat and breath.
Fat soluble toxins must first be made water-soluble, and that takes place in the liver.
There are three phases of detoxification of fat-soluble toxins:
Phase I: Large toxins are broken down into smaller pieces by a group of enzymes known as the cytochrome P-450 family. In some cases, these smaller compounds can still possess some toxicity if allowed to build up, and that’s where Phase II comes in.
Phase II: The byproducts of Phase I and other remaining toxins are effectively neutralized and made water-soluble so they can be excreted from the body. This process is known as “conjugation.” Once toxins are made water-soluble, they can be eliminated through our urine, bile, sweat and breath!
Phase III – In addition to Phase I and Phase II detoxification, liver detoxification involves a third phase which takes care of the final elimination of toxins. This involves direct excretion into bile; and is called the Phase III detoxification (T.Ishikawa, Trends Biochem.Sci., 17, 1992).
Support your body’s natural detoxification
By participating in a detoxification program, we can actively assist and support the body in its own natural cleansing actions and help it to eliminate toxic substances. A functional detox program helps to strengthen all of the organs involved in detoxification, including the liver, lungs, kidneys, skin, and lymphatic system. Among the valuable benefits of a successful detoxification program are:
- Increased energy
- Clearer skin
- Stronger immune system
- Greater mental clarity
- Improved digestion
- Weight loss (if desired)
A Detoxification program to start the year strong
- Drink plenty of water. One of the keys to eliminating water soluble toxins and toxic metabolites is having plenty of water available. Water helps dilute waste products and carry them out of the body. Drinking pure water all day is recommended. Freshly squeezed lemon or lime is a simple alkalinizing addition.
- Another way to move toxins out of the body is to increase blood flow through movement and exercise. Regular exercise will also improve overall health.
- Choose the PERQUE Detox Kit, a safer, natural, multi-system detoxification program that takes advantage of the synergy of 4 products:
PERQUE Detox IN Guard™ contains a unique blend of sulfur amino acids, lipotropic factors and minerals that support all of the body’s detoxification pathways (Phases I, II and III). The potent nutritional detoxifiers like methionine, glycine, cysteine and glutathione also boost neuroimmune and cardiovascular health.Choline and inositol improve cell communication and increase the cell’s defenses.
PERQUE Liva Guard Forté™ is a liver-protecting formula that combines five carotenoids, pure silymarin (milk thistle), vitamin E, CoQ10, methionine and glutathione to deliver unique synergistic benefits. This unique formulation helps protect liver cells from damage and facilitate the liver’s role as the body’s maindetoxifying organ.
PERQUE Potent C Guard™ buffered l-ascorbate powder helps strengthen, repair and energize the immune system while mobilizing and removing harmful toxins from the body.
PERQUE EPA/DHA Guard™ contains Omega 3 fatty acids, which are extremely helpful in improving antioxidant absorption, dissolving fat soluble toxins and repairing cell membrane fluidity.
- Choose the right foods. Remove toxic substances such as caffeine and alcohol, eliminate processed foods, and limit intake of sugars and saturated fats. This will help your body to detox naturally.
Specifically, you will want to avoid the following foods:
Sugar: Avoid refined sugar, including sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, and dextrose-containing products. Also avoid artificial sweeteners. (Agave and stevia are healthy options.) Fresh fruit and fruit juices are preferred.
Processed Foods: Instead of snacking on chips, candy and cookies, choose nuts and seeds as a healthier option. Alkalinizing suggestions include sunflower seeds, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, almonds and cashews.
Avoid refined flour products such as doughnuts, cakes, cookies, white rice, and pasta. Wheat and other gluten-containing grains should be minimized. Grasses like quinoa, amaranth, and brown rice are healthier options.
Avoid ready-made meals, pickles, salad dressing, and sauces. Using apple cider vinegar and olive oil with lemon are healthier choices.
Red Meat and Dairy Products: Red meat can be fattening and can add to the toxic load. Better protein sources include fish, beans, and legumes. Milk, butter, and other dairy products should be kept to a minimum. For many people, cow dairy is difficult to digest and can impede the process of detoxification.
Caffeine: Coffee, both regular and decaffeinated, black teas, sodas and other drinks containing caffeine should be avoided. Green tea, ginger tea, and herbal teas are better substitutes.
High Amounts of Table Salt: Sea salt is a healthier option.
In addition to avoiding toxic and processed foods, you will also want to avoid immune sensitive foods and substances, and eat more alkalinizing foods,to help reduce inflammation and enhance repair. The LRA Test can help determine which substances are immunoreactive for you, and which to avoid.
- Determine how much Vitamin C is best for you, using the C-Calibration Protocol. As the central antioxidant molecule responsible for regeneration, recycling, and cell detox, the amount of ascorbate needed by any given individual varies more widely than that of any other essential nutrient. The C-Calibration protocol makes it possible for you to determine how much ascorbate you need, at any given point, in order to stimulate repair and respond to oxidative stress. Visit http://www.perque.com/lifestyle/self-tests/ascorbate-cleanse/ to learn more.
- Take a salt and soda bath. The C- Calibration can sometimes take several hours to achieve. We recommend a salt and soda bath afterwards to help you relax and to enhance the detoxification process. Combine a half cup of Epsom salts with a half cub of baking soda in a very warm bath (You may also choose to add lavender or other relaxing essential oils.) Soak for at least 20 minutes. While soaking, practice deep breathing and let the warm water take all your stress away. Since Epsom salt is another name for magnesium sulfate, this bath will help remove toxins from your body, and if done regularly, can also help to boost magnesium levels. Healthy magnesium levels support healthy serotonin levels – essential for improved mood. Visit https://www.PERQUE.com/4-natural-ways-to-boost-your-mood/ to learn more.
Taking these six steps to Detoxification can help kick off the new year right! Combining the PERQUE Detox Program with the Joy in Living: The Alkaline Way guide can also be helpful for making changes that extend beyond the beginning of the year! The program outlined here can help to create immune resilience; improve digestion; achieve healthier bones and joints; get more restful, restorative sleep; and decrease illness and infections.
To download your FREE copy of Joy in Living: The Alkaline Way, visit: https://www.alkalineway.com
Did you enjoy this post? We post new content regularly! Click here to see our latest blog posts.